We balance our joy about the arrival of summer and vaccines, with the recognition that we are far from vaccine equity globally, and wildfire season is upon us showing the impact of climate change in the backyards of our friends, families, and partners.
This month I began my maternity leave as I welcomed a baby girl on June 11! I leave the organization in the capable hands of Kristen Poppleton, our Senior Director of Programs, who will serve as Interim Director, along with Denise Fosse, Director of Development and Jothsna Harris, Director of Community Engagement. Thanks to our Board of Directors, and specifically our Board Chair Cathy Kennedy and Vice Chair Ben Passer who are also sharing some of my responsibilities and checking in with our leadership team during my absence.
We have some exciting updates from across our organization I’m proud to share:
- Climate Generation’s Strategic Roadmap is complete, a guide for our work for the next three years, with a focus on igniting and sustaining the ability of educators, youth and communities to act on the systems perpetuating the climate crisis – by overcoming disinformation; centering anti-racism and systemic equity; and personalizing and localing climate change action. Read more here.
- From July 28–30 we will host our 16th annual Summer Institute for Climate Change Education for over 250+ educators, with themes including: climate science; combating misinformation and science denial; exploring different ways of knowing; peoples’ history of climate change; shifting power and voice to marginalized communities; and teachers as advocates for youth power!
- Our revamped YEA! program is making some changes to our staffing structure and program, including the pilot YEA! Campaigns program from our iMatter merger last summer. Stay tuned for more details!
- We are accepting applications from individuals interested in representing Climate Generation and the critical work of education and engagement at the UN Climate Talks in Glasgow.
- Finally, we welcome a new Communications Coordinator, Trevor Cobb, and congratulate Lauren Boritzke Smith on her promotion to Communications and Marketing Manager as we deepen our capacity to better support our growing programs marketing needs and outwardly facing communications in alignment with our strategic roadmap!
I look forward to reconnecting with you upon my return in September. In the meantime, happy summer!
Nicole Rom, Executive Director