CONTRACT DATES: August 12, 2013 – July 11, 2014
TIME COMMITMENT: 20 hours/week
LOCATION: Will Steger Foundation office, Minneapolis
COMPENSATION: $1000/month, $12,000 total – Independent Contract position
A program of the Will Steger Foundation, Youth Environmental Activists of Minnesota (YEA! MN) connects Twin Cities high school youth to facilitate shared skills and strategies and to take coordinated action towards environmental sustainability. YEA! MN is a youth-driven network of high school environmental clubs including 20+ public, private and charter high schools from a cross-section of urban and suburban districts.
YEA! MN organizational structure includes a youth Steering Committee that meets twice a month with representatives from different high schools, including 2 student co-chairs. The youth Steering Committee also plans and facilitates several large events over the school year, engaging high school students across the metro area, providing climate and energy literacy, leadership and organizing skills, and other valuable tools and resources for action to support youth climate activism and student leadership teams at participating high schools. YEA! MN also strives to be authentically student-led, meaning that program direction and events ideally come from the students. It is the YEA! MN Coordinators job to facilitate this process.
- Support student leaders from 10 metro area high school environmental clubs to plan and facilitate student-led action projects related to energy conservation, renewable energy, waste reduction, and sustainability and to expand and sustain their local leadership teams.
- Provide direct mentorship for the YEA! MN student co-chairs and youth steering committee members in the form of leadership development, assistance in political/community organizing, event planning, and support for resource access.
- Maintain the YEA! MN member database and tracking system as well as the YEA! MN Facebook site and blog.
- Work collaboratively with other adult mentors at specific schools and in specific metro areas as needed.
- Coordinate with Will Steger Foundation Education Program staff to increase synergy between the Education and YEA! MN program areas with the goal of increasing climate literacy among YEA! MN youth Steering Committee members.
- Work with Will Steger Foundation to directly manage and grow the YEA! MN program.
- Previous experience working with junior high/high school youth
- Reliable means of transportation throughout Twin Cities metro area
- Availability for youth meetings and events in the afternoons, evenings, and occasional weekends
- Highly self-motivated and able to work independently
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Experience with group facilitation
- Strong organizational skills and ability to manage complex logistics
- Experience in environmental and/or social activism
- Strong computer skills and comfort with social networking tools (Facebook, Google, Twitter, blogging etc)
- Ability to manage cross-organizational collaboration
Deadline August 2nd. Please email (with ‘YEA! MN Coordinator Position’ in title) or mail in a one-page letter of interest and resume to:
Abby Fenton, Youth Programs Director
Will Steger Foundation, 2801 21st Ave S, Minneapolis, MN 55407
Phone: (612) 278-7147 x105